[Gllug] User Internet monitoring

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 20:48:24 UTC 2003

Dylan wrote:

> They also
> have a blanket ban on downloading any material. It works, and everyone seems
> to be happy with it.

A blanket ban on downloading *any* material? That would really screw me.
Are AIX, Oracle and Linux fixes not "material"? I use large portions of
the company's bandwidth downloading such things and would be highly
unamused if anyone tried to stop me. But I guess this is not what you
meant:)

We have a policy that "non work related Internet use" is banned. In
practice only high bandwidth users are examined, the likes of ibm.com,
suse.de, oracle.com and even microsoft.com discounted, and then the
firewall admins find that a quiet word with the user concerned to the
effect that their management will not be informed if they stop does the
trick.

On a related note, we disallowed access to hotmail and yahoo recently,
in order to stop people contracting the latest virus (I don't know why
they're so paranoid about this particular one) via personal webmail
accounts. The firewall admins report that 'net traffic has dropped 40%
as a result. Now there are some people using such accounts legitimately
(it is necessary to test automated mail interfaces sometimes for
instance) but 40% seems somewhat high.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk