[Gllug] Small installation

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jun 24 12:23:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:13:26PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I keep finding myself wanting to set up another box in a Debian
> environment (i.e., all the other boxes are running it). Particular
> requirements: <500MB disk space, needs to run X, needs to *not* be an
> X-term only, as I'll probably want to run some other stuff on the box. I
> particularly want to do this with machines with <120MB disk space
>

> Anyone got any preferred starting points for doing this?

<500 MB is totally possible with Debian, although you won't have
much free space to actually do any work if you want X as well.

Debian's installer is very slow in 16 MB of RAM, but it does work. I
installed Woody on a laptop with a similar config just two weeks ago.

As for <120 MB ... you could be in for a hard time. I never had a full
Linux running in such a limited space even back in the original
Slackware-on-30-floppies days. Is it not possible to fish out a
second-hand hard drive and plug it in?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/