[Gllug] Small installation

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Jun 24 12:47:29 UTC 2003

Richard Jones writes:

>As for <120 MB ... you could be in for a hard time. I never had a full
>Linux running in such a limited space even back in the original
>Slackware-on-30-floppies days. Is it not possible to fish out a
>second-hand hard drive and plug it in?

*Cough* My first Linux install was onto IIRC an 8MB partition. My first
full install was in 10MB (MCC), and then onto 60MB (Slackware, via many
time consuming floppies). It was not only possible, but commonplace in
those days to run with less than 100MB. Today, of course, the RH base
install alone (with no extra packages installed) is many times bigger
than that -- one of the reasons why I believe RH to be unsuitable for
public facing server use. It's fine as an internal server, but there's
way too much unnecessary crap to make it visible to the net...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk