[Gllug] Small installation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 21:39:07 UTC 2003

On Mon 23 Jun, Rich Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I keep finding myself wanting to set up another box in a Debian
> environment (i.e., all the other boxes are running it). Particular
> requirements: <500MB disk space, needs to run X, needs to *not* be an
> X-term only, as I'll probably want to run some other stuff on the box. I
> particularly want to do this with machines with <120MB disk space
>

> Anyone got any preferred starting points for doing this?

   I have been using the 2.4 kernel by selecting bf24 before the first
<enter/return>. If you need to boot from floppies make sure that you have
the correct rescue and root/boot floppy images.
   If you connect to the internet before installation, and set up the
network interface modules using the installation proceedure, it will check
for updates immediately, and probably install security updates before it
installs the rest. I normally make an initial selection with tasksel to get
the Debian standard configuration.
   I have had most problems getting sound working, for some unknown reason
it is not sufficient to select the correct modules and make nominated users
members of the audio group, it seems that the standard kernel may not run
Alsa, while /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp seem to require 777 permissions (the
linux.debian.user newsgroup has many requests for help).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk