[Gllug] IDE RAID

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 11 19:53:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:43:29PM +0100, Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> Remember that the more spindles the faster the RAID, you will also find that
> with the price of drives, it would be less expensive to get six 160 Gb
> drives rather than four 250 Gb drives.  Remember you will need a case that
> can support six drives along with a power supply to power them.

I'll second this. The other reason to have more physical drives is
that, with RAID 5, you will "lose" less disk space in the RAID
configuration.  With 6 * 160 Gb, and with one being a hot spare, you
will lose 2 * 160 = 320 Gb worth of space. Vs. the other configuration
where you lose 500 Gb.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/