[Gllug] OT: step down transformers 230->110?

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 01:03:20 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 00:43, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> I have guys bring some equipment over from Canada to install here. They
> have realised some of it wont run on 230VAC and haven't been able to
> locate step down transformers in Vancouver to bring with them.  Would
> anyone know where I can get that sort of thing here.  Maplins do them
> but only up to 300VA.

I strongly suspect that you'll find what you need at RS
(http://rswww.com/) - always found them very good, and they used to
deliver very reliably. If you need it pdq they have trade counters in
london - most central one is Bow (I think).

A quick search for "step down transformer" on their website shows
1000,2000 and 3000 VA portable transformers with "Two USA style 3 pin
15A/ 127V" output sockets and all associated thermal-protection gubbins
for 78-96 UKP.

Of course, as another respondent says, you may find you have switching
power supplies in which case you can forget this. The only bummer with
that is that sometime you find your "110v market" equipment has power
supply capacitors which are only just about within tolerance for a 240v
supply, and they die rather more quickly than normal. I'd hope for
computer equipment this isn't the case though, since it ought to be
pretty universal.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk