[Gllug] gentoo

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sun Jun 8 22:05:00 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 08:14:46PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> This month's Linux Magazine CD contains tarballs for Gentoo 1.4rc4.
> I would like to have a look at this distro, but don't understand
> how to go about installing it. I'd have no problem with a downloaded
> version burned onto a CD, but what can I do with a tarball alone?

If it is just the tarballs then I would say create them within a chroot
environment.  There are lots of docs on this on the gentoo site.  the
latest editions of portage give the option of running emerge (the Gentoo
equivalent of apt) niced which means it will not interfere with your
current install until you are ready for it.  Also copy the relevant
files from /etc to save hassle.

> There must be a way, otherwise why offer just tarballs. Can someone
> help please - I can partition, create filesystems, unpack and cope
> with most configuration requirements, but how to boot from a CD
> containing only a tarball?.

You are not meant to boot from it but use your current system and build
the gentoo chrooted from there just follow the instruction in Gentoo
install instructions.

> I've looked at the relevant web sites, but cannot see anything that
> covers what confuses me. I have Debian Woody (my main system) and
> Knoppix 3.1 running.

If you have done a HD install and used the whole disk you may need to
use parted the GNU partition resizer to make your self a gentoo
partition.  Should be OK to do this if you have ext2/3 but things are
definitely nasty if you went for an xfs file system.  As AFAIK you can
only expand and not shrink xfs.

I know I promised you a gentoo LIve PPC install CD, I can also throw in
a x86 live CD too if you want.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk