[Gllug] IDE RAID

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Wed Jun 11 16:44:07 UTC 2003

Two things...

Speed and reliability.

Go for the new 133 drives (serial ATA?), but even these are slower than
scsi drives (7000rpm against 10,000rpm).

IDE drive manufacturers now only give 1 year warranty on IDE drives (3yrs
SCSI) and I'm sure they aren't as reliable as thye used to be!

How much more expensive is SCSI?  Price per meg?  Price per hour you fixing
it?

Nowt much wrong with reliability of IDE RAID - big research labs like RAL,
CERN use
similar setups. Then again, that's for bulk data which they can easily
recover from tape.
YMMV.
IIRC, RAL use 3Ware.

Serial ATA RAID controllers are certainly out there - worth a Google
and a look at http://www.3ware.com
There will be comments that you'll be an early adopter - I remember Kim
Hawtin (again)
telling me he's using serial ATA, so will be happy to put you in touch.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk