[Gllug] Broadcast packets across VPN

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 10:11:15 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 08:34, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> The problem I have is that it doesn't appear that broadcast packets get
> routed across the link (and I wasn't expecting them to cross routers).  But
> this is a problem because we want to allows CUPS and SMB across the link and
> both programs use broadcasts to announce their presence.  I know we can set
> up CUPS to use a specific address and we can set up Samba to use a WINS
> server but I'd really like to get it to work without doing those things.
> Does anyone know of a way to get this to work or should I give up and use
> the previously mentioned methods?

Hi,

samba can synchronise lists of machines on each subnet - see
  · remote announce
  · remote browse sync
This has the effect of making machines on another subnet show up, by
virtue of being listed by the local browse master.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk