[Gllug] First instalfest

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Mar 16 13:40:13 UTC 2003

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 12:39:09PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 11:20:15AM +0000, Formi wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Alex Blacknell wrote:
> > > I attended my first Instalfest a couple of weeks ago not knowing what I was
> > > letting myself in for.
> > > I have never had occasion to touch Unix, Linux etc so when I was handed a
> > > leaflet up at the London sat fair I was struck with a form of curiosity so
> > > decided to go along and listen to what was on offer.
> > > I must say that I found the lectures very interesting for someone who has
> > > been brought up on Win3.1 - XP, so much so that I purchased a copy of
> > > Knoppix 3.1 hoping to step onto a new computing ladder or rung.
> > > Since then I have enjoyed and sworn at this wonderful piece of software and
> > > have got involved with a few forums to iron out a few
> > > installation/configuration issues, some are still to be sorted but to date I
> > > have managed to install Knoppix to HD resulting in a Debian/KDE3 desktop.
> > > My only issue at the moment is that the screen display is ghosted badly
> > > giving what looks like 3 superimposed images of the desktop.
> > > I have been trying various 'cheatcodes', none seem to work so far, has
> > > anyone else tried Knoppix on this list who wishes to discuss installation
> > > issues ?

Firstly, it's great to get such good feedback, especially since you have had
these problems.  There's always the temptation to not belong to LUGs and not
voluteer time to installfests, but getting feedback like this makes it all
worthwhile.

> >  Is that a trick question? We using knoppix?
> >
> >  There are great minds in here, but I'm sorry to say, "not me though"
> >  and we are no telepaths, so unless you provide info about things like
> >  wich videocard are you using, helping will be a bit tricky.
>
> More info would be a help lspci will give you nice info on your video
> card and other goodies, also if you have the original monitor specs that
> too should help.

I agree that this sounds like the monitor being driven at too high a refresh
rate, rather than a problem with the video card.  Try a lower resolution, or
perhaps a better monitor, if possible.

What type of monitor is it?  And do you know what resolution/refresh rate
it is trying to use?

Pete
--
Pete Ryland