[Gllug] Forced

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat May 10 12:13:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 12:33, Tethys wrote:
> Sean Burlington writes:
>
> >not really knowing visio or M$ Project ...
> >
> >what do they offer that Kivio and Mr Project don't ?
>
> Apart from maturity (and I didn't expect to be saying that about
> a Microsoft product!), they're available to Windows users. No matter
> how good Dia, Kivio or Mr Project become, they'll remain useless
> for general office use unless they can share files with non-Unix
> users (FYI, our office desktops are about 70% Windows, 20% Linux
> and 10% MacOS X).

FWIW, there's a Win32 version of Dia. I have a user at work who want to
be able to do flow charts, so she's going to get an install of it soon.
It's not as good as Visio, but then most users don't need all that Visio
can do, and I suspect that Dia will fill our needs pretty well. It has
the added advantage that if she wants to share documents with other
users, I can just roll it out to them without worrying about licensing
issues.

This is one big advantage of cross platform software. If you take a
Windows user, move them onto Open Office, Mozilla, Mozilla mail, Dia,
etc, etc, then it becomes a far simpler proposition to give them a Linux
desktop when it comes time to replace their machine. Many users wouldn't
even notice. It's amazing how blind the average office user is to
chages, as long as they can use their email, word processor, and
print....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk