[Gllug] RH 8.0 Sound (revisited)

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Thu May 22 09:54:14 UTC 2003

> I'm running kernel 2.4.20-13.8, but one of the key rpms that
> I need is kernel-module-alsa-0.9.3a-fr2_2.4.20_13.9.i686.rpm
> which will put the sound modules in /lib/modules/2.4.20-13.9
> which is not where my system will look.  As far as I can see
> the kernel 2.4.20-13.9 is not currently available as an rpm.
>
> Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Look on http://www.freshrpms.net for stuff like that.
And use the excellent apt for rpm tools, and the graphical front end,
'synaptiic' if you like.

Have a look at http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=480

Use apt-for-rpm to install to make sure all dependeincies met etc.

Or compile up your own kernel, and make your own RPMs!
I'm not being facetious - that's how one learns things.
But you just want your sound working - so quite rightly, use RPMs,
and the Freshrpms site.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk