[Gllug] re: 'djb warning'

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Nov 11 11:03:23 UTC 2003

On Tue 11 Nov, t.clarke bloviated thus:

> Somehow, I thought the answer would be along those lines !!
> Fortunately, the license terms do not appear to prevent one from patching it
> to one's hearts content - you just can't redistribute the patched version.
> So, all 'upgrades' to qmail consist of patches, which can be a pain since
> patch b may not apply correctly if patch a already applied ...

Much of the animosity seems to come from DJB.  Distributions _cannot_
include his software, because they can't make the file locations fit
in with their distro-wide plan.  That means they can't be included.
DJB gets quite het up about that, when really he could quite easily
change his license.

There are unnofficial packages for all the major distros, if you
really want them.  Many people avoid his software because of the
recalcitrance.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

A reactionary is a man whose political opinions always
manage to keep up with yesterday.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk