[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 10:34:43 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Tethys wrote:
>
> > Of course, the annoying thing was that the information content was minimal,
> > probably around 500 bytes at most, and would have been far better served by
> > a few lines of plain text email. Needless to say, my attempts at education
> > fell mostly upon deaf ears...
>
> This is why it is really important to ensure the necessary user education
> *before* widespread deployment of such systems.

	Question again HOW? You can educate people to send emails in the
correct way as much as you like. But they will still wish to send that
huge jpeg from there digital camara unless the digital camara software
will properly compress the jpeg or the program to do so is easily found
and used. The problem in my case was because jpeg is already compressed in
as much as zip can't do any more the email still cloged up outlook express
before it even tried to leave the building. The problem ended up being
recompress the jpeg with a better compression ratio but how became a real
problem.

Peter Childs

> In the past I've found it useful to draw up some basic
> "permitted use" guidelines and have them distributed as an addendum to
> peoples terms of employment. Doing this at the outset means that you get
> management approval and you're able to enforce the limits.

	The problem is the "guys at the top" usally want excemption and in
a small place usally get it. When usally they are the worst offenders

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk