[Gllug] Libraries for writing OpenOffice .sxw files?

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 04:20:37 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 23:01, Doug Winter wrote:
> On Tue 25 Nov Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > Hmm - you (or someone else) might be able to answer a question that has
> > mildly bugged me for years, but I've never bothered to actually find out
> > the answer to. I've seen many documents, written in TeX, where the
> > output PostScript is typographically beautiful, but which, when
> > converted to PDF, display a rendering problem that makes them look at
> > though each letter has different vertical alignment. What actually
> > causes that? Some font weirdness or something?
>
> I've had this with my own documents, and it seems to be that the default
> latex fonts are poorly supported in PDF.  Using times instead, the
> output is lovely.  Put:

I've found that the usual latex -> dvi -> ps followed by conversion to
pdf with ps2pdf looks visibly worse than using pdflatex to "directly"
(whatever that means in this context) generate pdf from your input
files.

I never bothered to look into why: since pdflatex produced output that
(to my eye) was identical to the dvi or postscript, I now use it by
default.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk