[Gllug] Voluntary work

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Nov 13 09:07:19 UTC 2003

On Thu 13 Nov, Jason Clifford bloviated thus:

> Copyright infringement as part of a commercial concern is a criminal
> offence. Perhaps the trustees of the charity just need to be told along
> with a note pointing out that Free Software can provide what they need
> without draining their financial resources on license fees and higher TCO.

This is a strategy just ripe for MS to match and make themselves look
good.  All they have to do is "donate" their software to charities,
they get the lock-in they want and get to write off the "donation" as
a tax deduction.

It's worth using the many other reasons for free software with these
people.

A good start is Danny Yee's paper, Development, Ethical Trading, and
Free Software:
http://danny.oz.au/freedom/ip/aidfs.html

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I'
  in 'useless smug colleague', either. And there's
  four in 'platitude-quoting  idiot'. Go figure."
- David Brent, "The Office"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk