[Gllug] (no subject)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Nov 8 08:58:45 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:19:32PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:12:38PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > In particular if you're writing your programs in Objective CAML, you may
> > be able to *beat* C performance.
>
> <troll>
> I've heard *so* many times someone say XYZ language is/can be faster than C,
> but yet it still makes me laugh. :-)
> </troll>

Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to turn this into a C vs. other languages
speed competition.

Actually I'd prefer that people wrote servers in languages other than
C, even in interpreted languages, as you might have guessed [see
signature]. Most servers are heavily I/O bound, and we've got fast
CPUs, so there's really no reason why a server written in Perl (say)
can't scale just as well as one written in C.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
NET::FTPSERVER is a full-featured, secure, configurable, database-backed

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk