[Gllug] Newcomer

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Fri Oct 31 13:28:05 UTC 2003

Chris Haynes wrote:
>>I agree that they both have their place, but I'd advise against buying
>>manuals until one knows enough to make an informed decision about which
>>manuals to buy.
>

> I would really like to buy a good Linux manual. I'm new to Linux but not
> computers, so I'd be looking for a manual that would be easy to read but
> without too much hand holding - I guess a manual that would be useful for a
> long time, rather than just a couple of weeks.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Chris.

Running Linux by O'Reilly is a nice overview of everything, but won't
last particularly long once you've scratched the surface.  It's a good
first point of contact for most things Linux related.  Once you're comfy
with the details in this book, you're probably ready for Linux
Documentation Project documents (http://tldp.org) and man pages.

Branden

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk