[Gllug] BBC on Microsoft DRM in new Outlook

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Oct 21 09:13:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> Within the government there may be regulations.   As far as businesses
> go, some forms of correspondence have to be kept - directors expenses
> need to be kept for a billion years in a lead box or something, but in
> general afaik there are no requirements on businesses to keep general
> correspondence.
>
> Microsoft have apparently started destroying all emails after six
> months, to avoid the document discovery problems they had during their
> anti-trust antics.  Can't find a reference to this though, so I may have
> imagined it.

According to the earlier BBC article:

"Destroying the e-mails completely would create legal trouble, because in
the United States deleting e-mails is a federal offence, regarded in a
similar light to shredding documents.

Earlier this year, brokers Morgan Stanley were fined $1.65m for failing to
keep e-mail records."

This would seem to indicate that if MS are doing as you suggest they could
be digging a tunnel into prison for some of their execs. Then again
they've already bought off the US govt once already during the current
term so perhaps they'll stay bought.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk