[Gllug] Debian

Peter Rutherford peter_m_r at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 23:46:54 UTC 2003

>>On Mon Oct 21 Peter Rutherford wrote:
>> I would almost be willing to wager my internal
organs

>> that Linux
>> will not take off until it is as easy to install as
>> Windows 95.

>On Tue Oct 21 00:35:42 2003,ian at
>house-from-hell.demon.co.uk inquired:

>What do you mean by "take off"? Linux has already
taken off in a fairly
>big way. At work we are running important
services....

By taking off, I mean that more people in
the high street running Linux than not
running it. Loading Win95 on an empty
machine is easy. There is a bear trap in
the form of TCP/IP which is put on or not
according to some curious rule which
only those in the Microsoft inner sanctum
will know about. But otherwise, the
installation is a piece of cake if driver
discs are to hand. This is how Linux could
be.

This is how Linux should be.

Peter R.

http://shopping.yahoo.com