[Gllug] Debian

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 09:24:31 UTC 2003

	I've taken the plung and installed debain (to replace my old
redhat 8.0)
	I used knoppix and then installed it to the harddisk.
	Once the system cam up and I tryied to install using apt some
packages I wanted....

	Bad Move, Very Bad Move.

1. the package dependancies on knoppix are broken. I actually ended up
removing kde and xcursors-dev using dselect before apt would even pass the
time of day!

2. Installed mozilia-thunderbird (The new email package) no problems I
think its quite good. Unfortinally...

mozilia-thunderbird-enigmail (Encription for thunderbird) needs thunderbird
but
enigmail has a file also in thunderbird which conflicts hence these two
packages will not live together and will not live without each other!
libxcursor-dev and xlibheaders (or somthing like that had the same problem
on the knoppix install before I removed the second one)
	The question resolves to is there are way so tell apt to just get
on with it and not complain

3. pine does not seam to be available for debain any more :( (Installed
from source)

	Debian seams really good its just its cast iron rules that put it
down and will never get a biggner using it.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk