[Gllug] Debian

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Oct 20 09:44:27 UTC 2003

On Mon 20 Oct, Peter Childs bloviated thus:

> 1. the package dependancies on knoppix are broken. I actually ended
> up
> removing kde and xcursors-dev using dselect before apt would even
> pass the
> time of day!

Yes Knoppix's dependencies have some problems, but it's still a nicer
way to install.  Switch your apt sources to standard Debian
repositories, update, dist-upgrade and you should be okay.

Also, use aptitude not dselect.  dselect is butt-ugly and problematic.

> 3. pine does not seam to be available for debain any more :(
> (Installed from source)

Now would be a good time to learn mutt.  It's much more powerful than
pine and can be made to operate almost identically.  I put off
switching for a LONG time, but when I finally did I fell in love with
mutt.  It's great!

If you really must, here's some info about building a pine package
yourself:
http://www.ourmanpann.com/linux/pine.html

>       Debian seams really good its just its cast iron rules that put
>       it down and will never get a biggner using it.

It's the cast-iron rules which ensure you get a free, functional
operating system.  Next time you use DedRat, you'll start getting
really annoyed when you can't find config files, logs and
documentation in the standardised places.  Then you'll get into RPM
dependency hell and really wonder why anyone runs it.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Finster's Law: