[Gllug] Getting mutt to display Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc (spam)?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Oct 20 13:22:55 UTC 2003

On Sat 18 Oct Richard Jones wrote:
> I suddenly have the urgent need to read spam.
>
> Actually this isn't true. I want to display an email which contains
> Chinese characters in it.
>
> Mutt doesn't know what to do with it, and displays the Chinese
> characters as question marks. Is there a way to configure mutt to
> display Asian character sets? I tried installing mutt-utf8 and running
> it under 'xterm -u8' with LANG=en_GB.UTF8, which is slightly better -
> it displays double-width squares instead of the characters.
>
> Any ideas?

First, is the email actually in UTF-8?  It might be in BigFive or one of
the other chinese charsets.

If it is indeed in UTF-8 then you are most of the way there - xterm-u8
will display utf-8 encoded text.  I'd suggest saving the email and using
"cat" to display it, until you get it to work, then try mutt.

I suspect that all you are missing is the correct font.  You need a font
with the chinese glyphs in it, and many fonts have very small
repertoires even though they are in the appropriate character set.
xlsfonts | grep 10646 will show you which fonts are available that are
in Unicode, and you could try a few of them.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF