[Gllug] processor problem

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 09:31:04 UTC 2003

On Saturday 18 Oct 2003 8:30 am, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sat 18 Oct, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > In my experience, new runs of Intel chips are usually dreadful - I made
> > the mistake of being a very early adopter of the PIII, and the first few
> > I tried all failed quite quickly.  Later PIIIs have all been fine.  Once
> > Intel have got their production bugs sorted out, their ICs are very
> > reliable until the metal migration problems start - with the older parts
> > (PIIs for example), they start to fail in bizarre ways after about seven
> > years.
>
>    At that age I find solid walls of dust hidden under the fan, invisible
> until the fan is removed, and fans themselves starting to get sticky.

There are significant internal problems with PIIs now.  These were the first
of the really dense core processors, and it appears that there is an
electro-chemical problem causing them to break down.  It has been suggested
(by others less charitable than me) that it is a deliberate type of built-in
obsolescence.....

It's trivial to monitor the operation of a fan!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk