[Gllug] Failed razor check using spamassassin

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Oct 9 09:36:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003, Jon Dye spake:
> Nix wrote:
>> Actually, the `Died' makes it look like Net::Ping fell over.
>> What version of that do you have?
>
> 5.6.1
> and Net::Ping did fall over.  It issued a die command after timing out waiting for a response to it's TCP packet.

I meant `what version of Net::Ping', actually...
It's probably 2.07 or something, and there have been *massive* changes
since then.

> The code is something like:
> $SIG{'ALRM'} = sub { die };
> alarm($timeout);
>
> <try and connect via tcp>
>
> This function seems to return true if it can connect, false if it is rejected and calls die if it times out.  Seems like it should
> actually return false in the timeout case too seeing as its doing a tcp 'ping'.

I've never known a version of Net::Ping that dies on timeout (and if it
did that in the latest version I'd be in real trouble because I have a
perl script that pings the other side of my ADSL link every minute and
brings the link up when it drops; killing the script would be a real
downer there.)

Anyway, the Razor calls in SA are wrapped in an eval block, so all you
lose is Razor; there are plenty of other tests to run...

--
`If you want a vision of the future, it is a wireless broadband network
 feeding requests for foreign money-laundering assistance into a human

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk