[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Tue Oct 28 10:49:20 UTC 2003

I've known a couple of people who work in the secretarial /
administrative fields and have suffered RSI related problems. They've
downplayed or ignored that on application forms, got new jobs that
involve a fair amount of keyboard work as part of the job description
and have felt very stressed when the problems recurred but they were
ashamed to seek the help the companies offered, because it would have
run the risk of their economical use of the truth coming to light.

I think honesty is a much better policy - if a company is going to
discriminate you on the basis of sickness on the application form,
there's every chance they will discriminate against you when that
sickness recurrs once you're employed with them. If something of your
past history comes out, they would have everything needed to dismiss
you... and how can you be sure it won't?

My brother rang me up this weekend to let me know that he'd discovered
his next door neighbour was someone I knew ten years ago. For me, that
was great news... but what if I had secrets that this person might
reveal.

Since the past can always catch up with you, I think even common sense
points to honesty being the best way forward. I'd like companies that
engage in unfair discrimination to select themselves out of the pool of
potential employers ;-)

Wulf

--
Wulf Forrester-Barker (Webmaster)
The Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/