[Gllug] OT: Windows XP refuses internet access

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Sep 20 22:50:07 UTC 2003

Ian Northeast wrote:

> This pretty much accords with my experience of WinXP. I don't run it of
> course but my lodger does. He's not stupid and has a reasonable amount
> of experience but he isn't what you'd call a network guru so I have to
> help him out sometimes.
>
> The peculiar errors and the hoops you have to jump through to get this
> b****r networked are quite amazing. On one occasion we had it showing a
> network card, claiming it was working, accepting configuration settings
> and silently throwing them away. Because, it turned out, we had omitted
> to load the latest version of the NIC driver. So why didn't it just
> report the card as not working FFS?
>
> And then there's the "Are you in an office or at home" question. It's
> not easy to get to the "I'm on a s*****g network, I *know* how it's set
> up, I want to configure this *manually*" bit.
>
> I find it quite amazing that this stuff is supposed to be easily
> configured by a normal user. Linux is much easier.
>
> BTW Puppies will not do. Sacrificing puppies is really bad karma. It has
> to be goats. Except, of course, in NetHack. Sacrificing your pet if
> something else killed it is OK. And there are no goats. I'll have to
> write to the maintainters about this come to think about it, there
> should be.
>
> Regards, Ian

Unfortunately I have to keep an XP box running to test web apps and I've had
similar XPeriences. I had a LAN/ADSL connection running through my router
from the XP box and an old Freeserve dial-up connection. To attempt solve
one problem I "temporarily" deleted my Freeserve connection then, when the
problem was solved, attempted to re-create the dial-up connection for use
testing my LAN/router via a secondary IP. I still haven't been able get the
*****er back to this day.

If ONLY Linux had a graphics package which came with enough fonts and decent
vector tools. I'd order an immediate sacrifice of the offending beast.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk