[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Apr 16 07:24:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Garry Heaton wrote:

> I prefer Linux over XP for many reasons but speed and usability of desktop
> apps doesn't come into it.

I recently had to use a Windows box that loaded a few components upon
boot, including the Mozilla pre loader and the driver for a scanner.

While Windows did display the desktop very early on the system was not at
all responsive or usable until the various components had finished

Booting Linux (specifically an installed Knoppix) to a usable desktop took
just short of 40 seconds.

While I agree that desktop Linux still has a way to go the boot speed
claim doesn't hold up in my opinion - Linux is no worse than Windows on
that one.

As ever the real barrier to Linux on the desktop is the lack of the
particular applications users want.

Getting people using Free Software applications on Windows systems can
help towards migration to Linux but desktop Linux does still need a more
sane default configuration particularly in respect of font support as you
say.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk