[Gllug] natwest fantasticness

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 19:48:57 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:

>Simon Perry writes:
>

>>I reckon the new cards/system are called *chip* and pin because they use
>>a *chip* not a magnetic strip.
>>

>They use both, and yes, the PIN is stored on the magstripe.
>
>Tet

    But will we not be able to change our pin by walking up to a hole in
the wall and chosing the change pin option.... (Like I can with my bank
card)
    If this is true pins are looking more doggie by the minute. I'm
already annoyed by the fact that my bank pin is the SAME as my wifes
(its a joint account) if I change my pin hers changes too. It seams very
stuppid having two cards with the same number on them, different names
and the same pin. Ok its a joint account, but the number on the card and
the pin should not be linked they should be unique. Its not that I don't
trust my wife but if she loses her card mine gets envaldadated which is
a tooch incovient for BOTH of us!
    I keep meaning of writing to the bank telling them to kindly follow
the same rules and they tell me to follow and tell my pin to NO-ONE and
that includes ME!
    Pins I always thought should be one way hashes using the number on
the card and the memory in the card reader. (You can't trust the phone
line to always be there) When you change your pin new data is sent to
every card reader so they know what your new correct pin is. Or is that
just my theory...

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk