[Gllug] set serial port irq

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Mon Apr 19 15:19:37 UTC 2004

This is where a faker box really comes in handy.

Sounds like you may have a DTR related issue

Best thinng to do is to turn off your iniitab getty for this serial port and
test the serial connectivity at a lower level.

Try running cat > /dev/ttySX on the reciever machine and echo "hello"
>> /dev/ttySY on the sending machine

( Substitue X and Y for your own port ids )

Check to see if your getting stuff.  Use stty -F /dev/ttySX and set ospeed,
ispeed to the correct values first and use setserial and the uart flag to set
the UART to 16550A.

if you are not getting data after this, then consider that your cable is not
xover ( pin 2 to 3 3 to 2 7 to 7 etc ) or that your flow control is not right.

Jack

Quoting Doug Winter <doug at pigeonhold.com>:

> On Mon 19 Apr Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > I'm connecting using minicom from box 1 to mgetty on box 2.
> > I don't get a login: prompt!
>
> I doubt that you want mgetty as is, that's for modems.  use getty (or
> run mgetty as getty, or use the -r switch to mgetty).
>
> check that your getty is really being spawned from the inittab.  it
> often isn't by default.
>
> check that you have the following set correctly at both ends:
>
>     baud rate
>     stop bits
>     parity
>     flow control
>
> are you sure you have the right cable?
>
> > Typing AT<cr> doesn't get a response either.
>
> unless you have a getty that talks the Hayes command set (which you
> don't :) that's not going to help.
>
> hitting return a few times can help wake up getty though.
>
> doug.
>
> --
>    http://adju.st   | "I have never predicted anything, and I
> 6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | never will".
> 1596 37D2 41FC 609F |     -- Paul Gascoigne
> 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF |
> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)870  250 9219
DDI   : +44 (0)1462 634 410
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk