[Gllug] set serial port irq

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 17:05:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 04:19:37PM +0100, Jack Richards wrote:
> This is where a faker box really comes in handy.
>
> Sounds like you may have a DTR related issue

You mean this in /var/log/mgetty.log.ttyS0:

04/19 17:01:04 yS0  WARNING: DSR is off - modem turned off or bad cable?
04/19 17:01:04 yS0  lowering DTR to reset Modem

> Best thinng to do is to turn off your iniitab getty for this serial port and
> test the serial connectivity at a lower level.
>
> Try running cat > /dev/ttySX on the reciever machine and echo "hello"
> >> /dev/ttySY on the sending machine

Did you mean cat /dev/ttyS0? I tried both just in case.

Tried that, and the echo hangs (and hangs...). It does complete after
60 seconds or so but nothing has arrived on the other box.

I guess it must be having trouble initiating the connection and so
keeps trying but can't get to send characters across.

> Check to see if your getting stuff.  Use stty -F /dev/ttySX and set ospeed,
> ispeed to the correct values first and use setserial and the uart flag to set
> the UART to 16550A.

receiver# stty -F /dev/ttyS0 ospeed 115200 && stty -F /dev/ttyS0 ispeed 115200
sender# stty -F /dev/ttyS0 ospeed 115200 && stty -F /dev/ttyS0 ispeed 115200

tried to echo hello across again but still no joy :(

> if you are not getting data after this, then consider that your cable is not
> xover ( pin 2 to 3 3 to 2 7 to 7 etc ) or that your flow control is not right.

perhaps pcworld on the way home...

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk