[Gllug] Re: MySQL Bashing - very very cheap hosting

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Sun Aug 22 15:49:52 UTC 2004

> People seem to confuse it for a relational database.

I've used the major proprietary databases for Geographic Information System work (ie. maps), and I was about to install MySql at home to teach myself about it and see what GIS / spatial stuff could be achieved with Open Source tools. Since this list has established that maybe MySql isn't all I was expecting it to be, can I ask whether PostgreSql is any better? Are there any other projects that you guys would recommend me to check out as a GIS/spatial database server?

Jonathan Hartley
tartley at tartley.com
+44 (07903) 729 838
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk