[Gllug] Locked in DVD!

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 13:18:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 12:00:07PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> /mnt/cdrom:           3581
> is the reply, which when I checked in KDE system guard is 'fam'. Presumably
> then I've got to log off and then log back on again to break this connection?
> Or is there another way?

fam is something which will jump on any filesystem and watch it for
changes - this way, anything which wants to know when files change (file
managers being a prime example, but Courier also uses it) can find out
in an efficient way.

Unfortunately, since it keeps the mountpoint open, it prevents unmount.

1) Files on read only devices don't change, so there should be no need
to monitor them.
2) fam should somehow hook into the umount path, and kindly f**k off
when you're trying to umount a filesystem it's using for no good
purpose.

What I assume it's doing is monitoring the mount point so that KDE can
tell when you insert/remove CDs and pop an icon on the desktop or
whatever.

fam's a nice idea (from SGI IIRC), but it can cause pain for removable
storage. If it's really too much trouble, don't run it - I doubt
anything would break horribly, you'd just lose some features.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk