[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 18:55:52 UTC 2004

On Tue 03 Aug, adam at thebowery.co.uk wrote:

> Turning the gain up on the line isn't going to stop the router crashing as it
> wasn't the ADSL that was dying (and even if it was a problem with the ADSL
> line it shouldn't cause the router to crash and have to be hard reset it
> should just sit there flash lights and put something in the logs). It was the
> wireless that was the problem. I finally had to upgrade to firmware 1.05 as
> the wireless was dying with all of the old firmwares (and with some of them it
> was crashing the router I presume). It still appears to crash the wireless but
> at least re-enables it after a couple of minutes with the new firmware.

   A wireless point can be greatly affected by its surroundings, such as a
steel-framed building, so it could help if the box is moved around. The
wavelength is short, so it may only require a small movement, but a loose
conducting mesh similar to a chain link fence could cause a large effect.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk