[Gllug] Bittorrent and security?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 09:55:31 UTC 2004

Hello,
   I have a local proxy box providing quick access to Debian files without
excessive loading on the internet, but it seems that the new preferred means
of connection is via bittorrent cooperative servers. While it appears that
the data should be encrypted and safe, I feel uneasy about security when
there are many unknown boxes linked together, and there are so many people
using open relays to distribute worms. It is not unknown for well maintained
servers to be broken, but I feel I can place more trust in the large
academic and ISP mirror sites than huge numbers of small sites run by a
variety of users.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk