[Gllug] OT: Printer Cartridges

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 13:31:21 UTC 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 12:56, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 17 Dec, john gennard wrote:
> > These cartridges are 'chipped', but they only show the level of
> > ink remaining. If they register the usage, I don't know what
> > they use that info is put to.
>
>    The display may indicate a percentage, but of the time before an "out of
> ink" warning, not the amount of ink used. You will always waste some ink
> every time the printer does a head clean, so if you have no intention of
> using colour from a cartridge you could just inject pure water, or the
> liquid sold as head cleaning fluid.
>
>    Beware that if the cartridge leaks it tends to drop straight on to the
> main board below, causing irreparable damage.
>

> --
> Chris Bell

On my Epsom C42UX, once the chip registers empty it can't be changed.  There
is also no connection between the chip and ink level.  I'm not exactly sure
how they show the ink levels and frankly I don't care.  It's obvious that the
printer companies are trying to protect their revenue against third party
cartridge vendors.

If you're chip is physically linked to a level meter inside the ink reservoir
then you may be able to keep it topped up with ink and be ok.

If you're printing in high quantities it may be worth selling this printer 'as
is' on eBay and investing in a quality second-hand LASER printer.

Ashley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk