[Gllug] ``Confidential`` .sigs

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 13:51:01 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 December 2004 21:06, John Winters wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 19:54, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    But vegetarians go out of their way to disguise non-meat products,
> > some people think that there is some real meat in all sausages, there is
> > soya "milk", margarine, etc...
>
> I always find that one a bit odd.  I eat a lot of vegetarian food, but I
> draw the line at vegetarian food which is pretending to be meat-food.
> Every single vegetarian sausage I've ever tasted has been repulsive.
> Why bother?  If you're a vegetarian then you don't need to pretend to
> yourself that you're not.
>
> There is of course no possible chance of coming up with a substitute for
> a decent bacon sandwich.  (Don't get me started on the mystery of why
> people by cheap, crap supermarket bacon and then complain about how crap
> it is.)
>
> John

I think we should remember that there are, at least, two types of vegetarian
people.  Those who chose a meat free life for animal welfare and those who
simply don't like the taste of meat.

Thus, there is a perfectly valid argument *for* the meat-like products such a
veggie sausages.  Even as a meat-eater I find veggie sausages actually taste
quite nice, not anything like sausages admittedly, but nice nonetheless.  Of
course they're full of synthetic crap so I don't usually eat them, but that's
not the point :)

You are most certainly right about bacon sandwiches, there's nothing like one
on a Sunday morning either!

As for people buying cheap supermarket meat, I'd rather blame the faceless
corporate supermarkets who think that profit is the only goal worth chasing.

Ashley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk