[Gllug] OT: Printer Cartridges

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 17:55:49 UTC 2004

On Fri 17 Dec, adam at thebowery.co.uk wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:08:31AM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> >
> > I have an Epson Photo 810 (which needs both a colour
> > and a black cartridge to work) and no longer use it
> > for colour printing. Although I set the default to
> > 'black' (for all text work), the colour cartridge
> > gradually empties. If I fill all chambers of an old
> > colour cartridge, with black ink would the printer
> > 'fail to notice'?
>
> If the printer uses a "chipped" cartridge then when it registers empty
> it will refuse to print, if it doesn't use chipped cartridges just put
> the empty cart back in when the printer says it is empty. If it is
> chipped then you won't be able to use refills but you could just buy
> dirt cheap 3rd party ink cartridges from somewhere like ebay (i recently
> paid 13 quid for a set of 3 black+3colour carts for my epson photo 900
> which uses chipped carts) and just use them to fool the printer.

   The printers always seem to know when there is a head clog or no ink left
regardless of any chip. I suspect that the chips are clocked on every page
up to a set limit, and it is obviously better to buy another cartridge from
the manufacturer rather than run out of ink and waste another sheet of
paper.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk