[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 23:55:14 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:53:32PM +0000, Mike wrote:
>
>>Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
>>While not wishing to be too much of a cynical git, surely if the mail is
>>going to your backup MX, there's a reasonable bet that that might not
>>work too well....
>
> This has been thrashed out a few times in this thread, Mike.

Hmmm. Indeed. Just finished actually reading the whole thread. Made
worth it by the wonderful link you provided to the qmail post :-).

> It's
> possible for a mail exchanger to be unroutable for arbitrary domain X
> but visible to fellow mail exchanger Y.  If X is truly down, Y can
> always fall back on some other method.

Just from persoanl experience, I very rarely see legitimate mail
arriving via my backup MX hosts when my primary is available. Most of
the stuff I get through backup MX hosts is spam.

>>> I'd be interested to know if it does.
>>>If not, your practical alternatives are LDAP lookups
>>
>>I'd have said this was the "right way to do it" (tm). Though for a
>>reliable system you'd probably want replicated LDAP databases on each MX
>>host.
>

> If you are going to replicate to each host, what's the point of LDAP?
> You might as well just replicate simple text or db files to each host -
> it's much simpler.

If email address maps were all you wanted to do, yes, I agree. I'm
coming from the perspective that LDAP is a good thing to run for other
reasons, and having a setup where adding a user to LDAP with appropriate
roles automatically grants them the right access, and gives them their
email address and routing is desirable. If you've already got that, I
think it's a pretty easy decision to replicate it on all your MX hosts.

Mike.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk