[Gllug] Samba problem

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 12:30:45 UTC 2004

ben f wrote:
>  --- will <will at hellacool.co.uk> wrote: > ben f wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>valid users = jessop_w
>>
>>I can mount the share :-).
>
> That's great (sorry to ask this, but that user does
> only exist in the NT domain, right? So you are sure
> it's using that account!) wbinfo is good for checking
> stuff like this!

The first thing I did when it mounted was double check I had not created
the user ;)  Worth asking certainly.

>>The only problem is that
>>the groups don't
>>seem to be working.  I ideally want this:
>>
>>valid users = @DirectEnglish
>
> nt groups! I wish I could get this working! IIRC the
> version of samba I'm using (2.2.5) doesn't like
> converting nt group ids to their names. Though wbinfo
> works a treat...
>
> I believe later versions of samba fix this. I've not
> corrected it yet as it's not a necessity..

Bugger. I guess I will have to assign individual users and make the
directory 777 as a temporary measure.  I don't want to have to do that
though.  Just a thought, could it be the CamelCase group name or it's
charachter length that is causing the problem?

>>(jessop_w is a member of that group).  When I use
>>this syntax I cannot
>>mount the share (access denied).
>
> again, you might want to use wbinfo to see just what's
> going on...

wbinfo seems to return some confusing information though:

[root at file2 shares]# wbinfo --authenticate=jessop_w%mypassword
--domain=MYDOMAIN
plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER (0xc000000d)
error messsage was: Unexpected information received
Could not authenticate user jessop_w%moribund with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

>>Also, at the moment, I have to make the unix file
>>permissions on the
>>shared directory writable by all, I can't see any
>>way of setting the
>>group permissions of the directory based on the NT
>>group.  I would
>>rather not make the perms 777 on the directory.
>
> man smb.conf - it's verbose but I'm sure it will give
> you many ideas.

Read it at length ;)

Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk