[Gllug] Seting up RAID level 1

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Feb 20 13:55:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:35:01PM +0000, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > [1] I'm not looking forward to trying to get Oracle running
> >    under SE Linux :-(
>
> Fun, but I guess if oracle intend to certify against next RHEL releases then
> someone will be looking at it. Extra fun if you try and run any of the java
> bits through either gij or make them native with gcj34.

Oracle will forever be a fragile PITA to get running on any new
release of Linux until they stop distributing it as .o files.[1]
While there are guarentees about shared library ABI compatability
across a stable GLibc release series there are none-what-so-ever
about ABI compatability for .o files.

In any case, certification just means that there is a predictable documented
install process - it does say that this process is easy / desirable[2]. For many
combinations of Oracle / Linux this involves copying a number of patched .o
files into certain locations / futzing with installer/linker so it picks up
custom libs distributed by oracle to replace the ones that come with a
distribution. All in all its just rubbish. Bring on PostgreSQL :-)

Dan.

[1] And if they sort that, maybe they'd be able provide RPMs to
    allow install remote unattended installs without their Java
    Swing GUI junk.
[2] For example, one way of making it work with SE Linux would be
    to simply give 'oracle' user all the privileges in the system.
    Figuring out the optimal / minimal set of privileges will be the
    really tricky bit.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|