[Gllug] Notebooks...

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Feb 27 04:18:24 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a notebook machine in the near future, and would
welcome any advice, pointers or horror stories...

I will be using ti to watch DVDs when away from home, and to control my
telescope 'in the field.'

My requirements are:
Serial port (or a USB to serial adaptor which is supported by Linux)
WIFI and wired LAN port (wifi could be a PCMCIA card)
External keyboard and pointer-device connection (could be USB, of
course, but with a possible USB-serial adaptor, and the essential
pen-drive, we're running out of USB sockets and a powered hub ain't
gonna cut it on a hilltop...)
Bluetooth (for connection to mobile phone if this is supported)
Modem
Full install set for Windoze (sorry about this, but the data upload
s/ware for the 'scope is Windoze only, although xephem controls the
thing once the catalog is uploaded. - there are *nix projects to do the
job but they're all 0.2 releases max and I'm not risking them on £1000
of kit!) I don't want restore disks because I'll only ever use it to
upload to the 'scope, so OS free would probably be OK and I could use
the dusty Win98 I've still got (assuming the CD still reads and it can
drive the machine.)

So, what experience does the group have to offer...?

TIA
Dylan

                                  -Benjamin Franklin
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk