[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 1 23:19:58 UTC 2004

On Thu 01 Jan, Stuart Children wrote:

> I have a DXR3 and it works pretty well. I had to play a little to get
> the module options right initially - there are variations based on
> models which the module can't work out itself (last time I checked
> anyway). The only issue I have is that the audio sync tends to go a
> little which I find annoying. That could be my system though.

   If you are referring to lip-sync, much of the time it does not exist,
especially on news programmes. There are picture delays in many pieces of
video manipulation kit, while the sound often takes a different route, and
the audio delay should be adjusted to suit (subject to time and budget
constraints).
   A common problem is caused by intermediate centres deciding that they
would like a copy, so pass the video through a local video system before
they pass it on, perhaps adding up to 1/50 second (one picture) each time,
which is very obvious.
   The first public UK TV broadcast using a satellite link was made with a
repaired but untested audio data link, so the standby route via landline was
substituted. It arrived seconds before the picture, but without any means of
inserting that much delay.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk