[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Rickey Costas rickey at lefteris.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 15:23:25 UTC 2004

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> It's just one of those things.  These systems were all here before I was
> and, as they're production machines, it's not practical or appropriate
> to change them.  Not broken, don't fix.

Surely the work to maintain them is enough justification to standardise
? You have to fix security issues as soon as they come out dont you ? Or
spend time installing funky configuration management programs.....

> With sensible package management, no.  I'm actually quite lucky here in
> that I've set up cfengine, it does 90% of the work for us.

cfengine looks prety funky, but also like one of those things thats a
solution looking for a real problem ! I've never used it so I could be
way off.  Maybe I should have a better look at it in all the spare time
I've got caused by all my machines being the same :-)

Rickey.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk