[Gllug] BT Wireless

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jan 27 10:26:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Amias Channer wrote:

> Maplin (in hammersmith) has some noname 802.11b pcards for 20 quid a go .
> Although i've no idea what the chipsets are. they are pccard 7 spec.
> Will find out more.

Avoid them with a very large avoiding stick.

They are the Binatone WL1000 - which is based upon the Texas Instruments
ACX100 chipset. Simply put they do not work.

The Free Software drivers for them do exist however TI has refused to
provide any necessary information and as a result the drivers are
incomplete. I have one of these cards and while I can now load the drivers
and configure the interface the radio interface seems to lie dead - ie no
signal.

If you decide you might have better luck with this than I had look at
maplin's online site where they were selling these for £12.99.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk