[Gllug] Hardware IDE RAID

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 13:31:29 UTC 2004

Simon Faulkner wrote:

> When using a hardware radi card for IDE drives such as the LSI
> MegaRAID what happens when a drive fails?
>
> I am just playing with a new server and have setup the RAID Bios to
> provide RAID 1 (MIRRORING)
>
> When I used the RedHat installer it saw 2 drives though E and G

If it is true hardware RAID then it should present only one drive.  Some
of the cheaper IDE RAID devices use software to bind and control the
devices, I would much rather use the kernel software raid in this case.

If you have a true hardware RAID card then I would expect it to be able
to boot from either.

Make sure you leave sufficient time for the mirror to rebuild before
testing the second drive :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk