[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 11:53:06 UTC 2004

On Tue 20 Jul, adam at thebowery.co.uk wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:05:12PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    My local distributor in North Acton has both the Netlink DG834 and DG834G
> > in stock, that is both with and without the wireless card. It seems that the
>
> I would be cautious of buying a Netgear DG834G as I have gone through 5
> different firmwares before finding a stable one that didn't cause the router to
> crash between every 4 and 24 hours (and need a power cycle to get it running
> again) It appears that many people have had these problems but the latest beta
> firmware that can be found after hunting around a bit on the web does seem to
> have fixed these problems I also note that there is a newer firmware available
> to what I am running (version 1.05 vs. 1.04.04) but after the previous horrors
> I don't know if I want to install it.
>
> Adam

   So my ASUS AAM6000EV purchased second hand from Solwise is not ideal,
does not do everything, may have security issues, but does seem to keep
working. This may be helped by my location not much more than 1 mile from my
local exchange, relatively new ducted cables, and a full BT spec faceplate
filter. Perhaps I should just let sleeping dogs lie.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk