[Gllug] zaurus problem

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Tue Jul 27 18:07:32 UTC 2004

Holger Duerer wrote:

>    [...]
>
>     Ian> format cf card as fat16, (mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/hde1)
>     Ian> copy the zImage and initrd.bin to the cf card
>     Ian> unmount it
>     Ian> put it into the zaurus,
>     Ian> press c + d and reset while plugged into AC,
>     Ian> nothing at all happens, not even a blink of an LED.
>
> Hmmm... sounds good to me.  I have only ever used one CF card (some
> generic card from dabs or inmac or something) and it has always
> worked.  Are you sure you press the c and d keys properly?  It is a
> bit fiddly...
>
> I assume, the mache *does* reset at least?  You don't mention that...
>
> Also: I know that you are no dummy, but just to be sure:  Can you
> confirm that the files are in the root dir of the card and are called
> 'zImage' and 'initrd.bin' -- no other extension or other
> capitalisation?

yep,

all that done, anyhoo,

i managed to actually get to an engineer over at sharpserv that knew
what one was :-D, also i managed to contact it's previous owner (the
asshole that swindled me on ebay) and he said he couldnt flash it
either, and neither could it's previous owner.

the sharp engineer said, that about 20% the US sl5500s are different
from the UK ones, and that flashing them with anything other than a
sharp OSPack <= 2.83 will overwrite the flash update bootstrap software.
even using OSPACK 3.1 will kill the flash software. so, as this one has
OZ on it, you wont be able to flash update it ever again,  the solution
would be to send it back to a USA sharp dealer and get the to refirb it,
as the uk centre cant deal with those wierd models :-/, he was very
helpful really,

grrr

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk