[Gllug] Survey of longevity of IT Directors

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 21:47:38 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am helping in a survey on how long IT Directors with Unix / Linux systems last in their jobs.
The suspicion is that they last longer than pure MS infrastructure directors.

I suppose we are really talking about are where the server basis is Unix / Linux.

What we are after is a few numbers as to how long these people have survived and why.

It has beensuggested to me that reasons for longevity could include:

More flexible systems. Designed to inter operate with heterogeneous technology

Reliability - systems that simply work day in day out. High mean time between failures.

Attract higher quality staff who have greater productivity. Decisions
about IT strategies not reliant upon vendors sales staff

Reduced security risks.

Minimise forced change.

Above results in lower cost of ownership.

There is also the possibility that MS favouring IT directors change job more often because
they move on to other, better, things - rather than being chucked out for poor performance.

Ideas & some numbers (years) as to how long these people survive in a job and why they left, please.
I'll post a summary in a week or so.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk