[Gllug] Bulletin Boards

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 13:18:05 UTC 2004

Xander D Harkness wrote:
> I run a bulletin board for an organisation which have moved from a
> mailing list as they were not able to understand how to properly quote
> and could not then follow threads.

I suppose running internal newsgroups would have the same problem?

> Can anyone recommend any bulletin boards that work well and are feature
> full? :-)

phpBB looks good and has lots of features. Bear in mind that pretty much
every board - especially the PHP ones - have had security holes in them
in the past, and more are constantly being found. Check bugtraq. Might
not be so much of an issue for an internal-only board, but still..

I always thought that phpBB et al should have a backend store module
which could use a news server to store postings - you could probably do
most of the functionality, with custom headers for any board-specific
features, etc.

--
Russ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk